Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Boisterous place in town –the DRAYANG

Whole day, I was busy reading an article. It took more than 6 hours to read and analyze it. I took late lunch. In relaxing manner, I was watching television. It was almost 6:53pm in the evening; I got call from my friends. “Come to town….please be fast…,” hanged call. I called back to know the reason behind. “Tring…Tring…Tring…” My friend was on call. He was asking me to reach in one of the restaurants in the town shortly. With no choice, I had to go there. I travelled in cab. I went directly to the restaurant and met with friends. They were waiting for me.

They were asking me to go around in the town. I agreed them. We went along the street. One of three friends asked us to visit Drayang. It was shocking news, as I was unaware of it. I did not hear prior to. “It will be most experiencing and joyful evening today,” I thought. Two of my friends agreed and followed by my acceptance.

They led me to Drayang. It was one of the famous places and much visited or crowded Drayangs in the town. As soon as we entered the door, I saw big crowded. I never thought of looking around rather directly went to the right hand side corner. We took seat there. I feel ashamed to sit there, I felt as if crowd looking at me. The dancers were shaking their slimy body. The way they dressed was amazingly great. Nevertheless, the Kira and Tego look quite different.

Movement after, one of the dancers cum waiter, approached our group. They asked orders. “I feel like to have some different items,” I thought. However, orders were just beverages and snacks, which was completely against my thinking. My friends ordered some few bottles of beer and snacks of Juma.

Meanwhile, that girl asked for request. “What is request?” I asked myself. I pay attention to a group of old aged men talking about request next to us. I understood what request really is. My friends discussed a lot. ‘Request’ is famous term used in Drayangs by waiters cum dancers. They come to customers to sponsor for them to stand on the stage to sing or dance. “Please, request chi nang may…” the way they persuade customers.

In other group of men, there was a girl talking about so-called request. One of the men from a group was asking that girl to go with him, later at night. It was embarrassing for me. I felt ashamed, but never pull back my ears. The men’s terms and conditions for their request of request money were to stay with him for a night. Man seems to be wealthy. He asked her cellular phone number. Everything was set. He seems to be excited.

He pulls his wallet from back pocket of the jean pant he was wearing. He un-zipped his wallet, took out Nu. 1500. “Are you sure that you will stay with me tonight?” he asked in threatening way. “If my sister does not say anything I will...,” she replied. Then he handed over the money. He pulled her to his chest and kissed on her cheek. It was kind of molestation or caressing in public. However, there was no other option for young girls.

The girl went to counter deposited the money. The anchor announced her name to come on the stage to dance on the name of person who requested or paid Nu. 1500, meanwhile a girl was still with in my group waiting for handsome request money.

“Why so called request exists here,” I asked girl. She promptly answers my question in very easy way. She mentioned that how much request money they get would be their salary at the end of the month. I asked about salaries that owner pay for them, but it was very low. She did not even disclose her salary.

However, young girls earn from dancing, singing, and working in Drayangs, but they have some painful situation disclosed. Whether married or unmarried, they have to ask for request. The money directly goes to owner who sits in counter. Some Drayangs have manager appointed instead of owner.

My friends collected 200 each, which made Nu. 800, and gave it to that girl. She also asked us to give her some drinking items. So, my fellow friends sanctioned. She deposited money and came back with a cane of Tiger beer. The snacks they eat with drinks were Gap, Juma and other meat items.

The Drayang hall in decorated with pictures of Dharma Kings of Bhutan, the Rinpoches and other religious costumes. The people gather there is from all age groups. Some unwanted practices are going on in Drayangs. Both young and old women working there drinks a lot, passionately changes their mind under the influence of money, they keep aside their husbands rather opt for additional affairs, eat meats and so and so on.

However, it is not my life. Nevertheless, I felt guilty of our fellow citizens being exploited, especially girls in different ways. The way dress up is purely based on owner’s willingness to attract customers. They work for their owners and make money for them but spoil their life within short span of time.

I spent few hours in Drayang. It closes by 11pm. It is almost mid-night. Some stay in hostel, some stay with parents and relatives, and some with their husband. Owner provides them, transportation service until their homes. It is good for them and it is safe too.

The man was waiting outside the door for that girl. He waited for quite long time. He called her then. She was on call. He was arrogantly annoyed. He says that he was waiting her near front door. On call, she states that she was almost reaching home. He was infuriated. He asked back his money with slang language. “Did you reach home?” he asked. “I stay beside Drayang.” He went then. He walked with long steps. She was disinterestedly waiting outside to give time for him for his money. We took a majestic walk along the street. That man appeared driving a luxurious car.

We stopped thinking that he might have something to say. However, it was not. The girl was going with him. Two went missing from that point. One of my friends was aware that there is a Ballroom (dancing room). He asked us to see around in party. I ignored. They went in. They snapped some pictures and shown to me later. My friend had car so we went to car. My friends were not drunk. I asked not to drink anymore. They agreed.

We decided to proceed to Kuensel Phodrang (commonly known as Buddha Point). It was early in the morning. Party in town get over and hundreds of people hang around in Buddha Point. Unexpectedly, I saw gruel and other edible item vendors. They temporarily installed shops along the way, just below massive Buddha.

In early hours of the morning, I noticed people spent time sleeping along the roadside. Some spent time in car. That men and girl was at Buddha Point. They were spending early morning nightlife in car half nude. They even do not recognize people watching at them. Still they were drinking. It was great night watching different sorts of nightlife in capital city.

When people live life in such ways, it is definite that Bhutanese people have lots of time to spend considering leisure at night, keeping their family back at home. The phone rings, no one responded call, as and when I was watching. The Partygoers ignore calls and concentrate on temporary life with their temporary partners.

Back to town, the Partygoers or Drayang attenders, shout in the street distracting sleeping residents. The streetlights installed in the street are damaged throwing bottles, stones, and sticks. The Gang-Fight broke out under the influence of alcohol. These are major cause of social disharmony. Before decades, in the capital city, even if we walk alone, there was no risk. Now, life-risk is increasing owing to social gathering places.

Then after, I didn’t plan to visit Drayang and Ballrooms. 

No comments: